A few good component manufacturing firm photos I located:
The Bristol Aeroplane Company
Image by brizzle born and bred
The Bristol F.two Fighter was a British two-seat biplane fighter and reconnaissance aircraft of the Initial World War flown by the Royal Flying Corps. It is often just known as the Bristol Fighter or popularly the "Brisfit" or "Biff". In spite of getting a two-seater, the F.2B proved to be an agile aircraft that was able to hold its own against opposing single-seat fighters. Possessing overcome a disastrous start off to its career, the F.2B’s solid design and style ensured that it remained in military service into the 1930s, and surplus aircraft have been well-liked in civil aviation.
The Bristol Aeroplane Firm, originally the British and Colonial Aeroplane Business, was each a single of the initial and one particular of the most crucial British aviation organizations, designing and manufacturing each airframes and aero engines. Notable aircraft made by the business include the ‘Boxkite’, the Bristol Fighter, the Bulldog, the Blenheim, the Beaufighter and the Britannia, and much of the preliminary operate which lead to the Concorde was carried out by the business. In 1956 its major operations had been split into Bristol Aircraft and Bristol Aero Engines. In 1959 Bristol Aircraft merged with numerous major British aircraft firms to type the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC), and Bristol Aero Engines merged with Armstrong Siddeley to form Bristol Siddeley.
BAC went on to turn out to be a founding component of the nationalised British Aerospace, now BAE Systems. Bristol Siddeley was purchased by Rolls-Royce in 1966, who continued to develop and industry Bristol-developed engines. The BAC operates have been in Filton, about 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Bristol city centre. BAE Systems, Airbus, Rolls Royce and MBDA nevertheless have a presence at the Filton website where the Bristol Aeroplane Firm was located.
The Incredible Hulk punched a hole in the wall. Abandoned Barber-Colman factory in Rockford, Illinois
Image by slworking2
History of the Barber-Colman Firm
Historically a single of Rockford’s biggest manufacturers.
Started with the founding of the Barber & Colman Business in 1894 – partnership among Howard Colman, an inventor and entrepreneur, and W. A. Barber, an investor. [Right now he would possibly be deemed a venture capitalist.] Colman’s first patent and marketable invention was the Creamery Check Pump employed to separate buttermilk and dispense skimmed milk.
Colman’s textile production inventions led the company on its rapid rise as a worldwide leader in the style and manufacture of diversified products. Certain things made for the textile market included the Hand Knotter and the Warp Tying Machine. By way of these innovations, Barber & Colman was able to build its 1st plant on Rock Street in Rockford’s Water Energy District, and to establish branch offices in Boston MA and Manchester, England.
Incorporated as Barber-Colman in 1904 and built 5 new key structures on their internet site by 1907.
Later innovations for the textile market integrated an Automatic Winder, Higher Speed Warper and Automatic Spoolers. By 1931, the textile machinery division had branch production facilities in Framingham MA Greenville SC Munich, Germany and Manchester. This component of the enterprise flourished via the mid-1960s but then declined as other divisions expanded.
Branched out from the textile industry into machine tools in 1908 with Milling Cutters. Barber-Colman designed machines employed at the Fiat plant in Italy (1927) and the Royal Typewriter Co. outdoors Hartford CT. By 1931, the Machine Tool and Small Tool Division of Barber-Colman listed branch offices in Chicago, Cincinnati and Rochester NY.
As element of its commitment to building a skilled operate force, Barber-Colman began the Barber-Colman Continuation College for boys 16 and older shortly right after the business was founded. It was a 3-year apprentice plan that trained them for manufacturing jobs at Barber-Colman and paid them hourly for their function at rate that enhanced as their proficiency improved. The program was operated in conjunction with the Rockford Vocational School.
To foster continued inventions, an Experimental Division was established with the responsibility of continually establishing new machines. A lab was 1st installed in 1914 and was divided into two components – a chemistry lab to offer thorough analysis of all metals and their element properties, and a metallurgical lab to test the effectiveness of heat remedy for hardening supplies. Innovations in the Experimental Division laid the groundwork for the company’s movement into the design and style and improvement of electrical and electronic products, and energy management controls.
BARBER-COLMAN became involved in the electrical and electronics business in 1924 with the founding of the Electrical Division. Very first product was a radio operated electric garage door opener controlled from the dashboard of a automobile. Sadly, it was also costly to be sensible at the time. The division’s key item in its early years was Barcol OVERdoors, a paneled wood garage door that opened on an overhead track. Many designs have been provided in 1931, some of which had the look of wood hinged doors. This division sooner or later expanded into four separate ones that created and developed electronic handle instruments and systems for manufacturing processes modest motors and gear motors utilised in merchandise such as vending machines, antennas and X-ray machines electronic and pneumatic controls for aircraft and marine operations and electrical and electronic controls for engine-powered systems.
In the late 1920s, the Experimental Department began conducting experiments with temperature manage instruments to be utilized in properties and other buildings and the Temperature Control Division was born. Over time, BARBER-COLMAN became known worldwide leader in electronic controls for heating, ventilating and air conditioning. These are the goods that continue its name and reputation these days.
The death of founder Howard Colman in 1942 was sudden but the firm continued to expand its operations beneath altering leadership. Ground was broken in 1953 for a manufacturing creating in neighboring Loves Park IL to residence the overhead door division and the Uni-Flow division. 3 later additions had been produced to that plant.
The divestiture of BARBER-COLMAN divisions began in 1984 with the sale of the textile division to Reed-Chatwood Inc which remained at BARBER-COLMAN’s original internet site on Rock Street till 2001. The machine tooldivision, the company’s second oldest unit, was spun off in 1985 to Bourn and Koch, another Rockfordcompany. At that time, it was announced that the remaining divisions of the BARBER-COLMAN Firm would concentrate their efforts on procedure controls and cutting tools. These moves decreased local employment at BARBER-COLMAN’s several areas to about 2200. The remaining divisions were eventually sold as well, but the BARBER-COLMAN Organization name continues to exist these days as 1 of 5 subsidiaries of Eurotherm Controls Inc whose worldwide headquarters are in Leesburg VA. The Aerospace Division and the Industrial Instruments Division nonetheless operate at the Loves Park plant, employing 1100 workers in 2000. The historic complicated on Rock Street was vacated in 2001 and the house purchased by the City of Rockford in 2002.
In depth documentation from the Experimental Division was left at the Rock Street plant when the firm moved out and was nonetheless there when the internet site was purchased by the City of Rockford. These documents are now housed at the Midway Village Museum.